Thursday, January 23, 2014

Organized Chaos for the Already Busy Mom

I've officially convinced myself that I am completely bonkers. I am a mother of three with two under two, I am working part-time for an accountant during tax season (which is really starting to drift into full-time work), I'm a full-time student and we are moving to our new house a week from tomorrow--whoa! As if I really needed any more of a reason to pull out my hair, I decided to go on ahead and try to train for the Color Me Rad 5K as well. There is a valid reason for piling that on top of it as well. For starters, it's never not a noble goal to try to get control over your weight and health. Second and most importantly, those of you who are parents (or also insanely busy) understand what I mean when I say that when inspiration strikes, you have to grab hold of it and run. (Ha, literally, in this case.)

I don't feel that I've overextended myself at all it's just that all of these projects are either starting or raising velocity at the same time which can occasionally make it feel a bit overwhelming.

For starters, the three children have lost their ever-loving minds. It's cold outside, which is not conducive to burning extra energy. It's not that I wouldn't let the older two go outside to do it, it's that we are still (for the next week) living in an apartment complex and I'm not 100% comfortable letting them go outside alone and the baby is far too young to be out in this. Well, too young? Maybe not. But too small? Definitely. This little pumpkin is still in newborn clothes at four and a half months old. She's still developing normally so she must just be born to be petite. (Lucky girl if that the case. Morbid obesity runs rampant in both of our families so we will still have to watch our children's food intake and activity levels as they age.) 

As for the working from home, that is something a lot of parents do and I feel wrong complaining about it... especially because I feel very lucky to have snagged this job. My boss is amazing for so many reasons. For paying me fairly and also for allowing me to learn an entirely new skill through her. Yes, maybe it's getting busy but I would do anything to help her out at this point. She's given me the opportunity to earn experience without ever having to pay a dime in daycare. Quite the achievement. 

As for school, it's become pretty clear that I have a dweebette hiding deep inside of me. It's been a while since I've been this anxious and excited to go to school. A friend of mine and I discussed the differences we've seen in the education system as time went on. It feels like each level of school keeps going further and further down the tubes in quality. My son has been learning the exact same skills for two years. In my college level courses (not entry level, there are prerequisites for each of these classes) a majority of the students can't write a complete sentence to save their life. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a bit rusty at getting rid of the fluff and focusing on formal writing but I know how to. These kids on our first assignment of the class (write an introduction to the class about why you are choosing to join the medical field in eight complete sentences or more) were writing in text speak (thankfully, the posts in question have been taken down since I first saw them) and/or "I'm just saying 'hi' on Facebook and don't require capitalization or punctuation. I'd rather have my run-on sentences any day of the week compared to that. Besides that, I think I've officially discovered my favorite professor of all time who happens to be my professor for two courses. How lucky am I? She is very into punctuality, proper grammar and also spelling which to me are all very important things as well. Hopefully, she'll give these babied children a run for their money. Or their parent's money, as it were.

Tomorrow, we should be given the exact time of our closing date. Zach has already spent some time packing up some of the things we don't exactly need but we have such a long ways to go. I'm a bit terrified of the prospect of moving all of my school work, my computer and the work documents without losing anything. Thankfully, we are using baby girl's room as a study for a few years so that I can finish my degree and keep organized. 

Lord help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment